Medicare Supplemental Plan N is one of 10 standardized Medigap plans available in most states. Like other Medigap coverage, this plan helps with certain costs that Original Medicare doesn’t cover, including cost-sharing expenses you may have for hospital services or doctor visits.
Like other Medigap plans in most states, Plan N offers standardized benefits. This means that you’ll get the exact same coverage for Plan N, no matter where you live or which insurance company you purchase the policy from.
Plan N covers the following benefits:
- Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance and other costs up to an additional 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Medicare Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
- Medicare Part A deductible
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayments (except for a copayment of up to $20 for some office visits and up to a $50 copayment for emergency room visits that do not result in inpatient admission)
- First three pints of blood used in a medical procedure (yearly)
- Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance
- Foreign travel emergency care (80%, up to plan limits)
Medicare Supplement Plan N costs
As mentioned, beneficiaries enrolled in Plan N will still be responsible for cost sharing in certain situations. You may have to pay a copayment of up to $20 for doctor visits and up to $50 if you go to the emergency room and aren’t admitted as a hospital inpatient. Additionally, Medicare Supplemental Plan N doesn’t cover the Part B deductible or any Part B excess charges, so you’ll be responsible for paying these costs yourself.
As mentioned, benefits for Plan N are standardized, so benefits will be the same for this plan, regardless of insurance company or location. If you’re considering a Medigap plan, it’s always important to meet with an agent who specializes in Medicare Supplements so you can get the information you need.
Medicare Supplement Plan N eligibility and enrollment
Like other Medigap coverage, you’re eligible to enroll in Plan N if:
- You are enrolled in both Medicare Part A and Part B
- There is a Plan N available in your service area.
If you have any questions please call Stephen or Carla Fowler at 205-417-5027. They are Medicare Advisors with Prosurity. They will be happy to answer any question you may have.